Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Pastel Pencils...Take 2

So I started working with the pastel pencils again tonight and its getting there.  Working on such a more detailed scale definitely takes longer.  I worked on a painting for 2 hours tonight and its getting there but its taking time and I'm sharpening the pencils by hand with a razor blade so that takes some time too.

I am obsessed with the Tuscan countryside right now.  I have always loved the historic and serene look of an Italian farmhouse basking in golden light.  Recreating that is hard!!  And doing it with the pastel pencils takes a while.  This is what I have so far...

So like I said, its getting there.  I'm taking my time and getting used to the pencils.

On another note, I've decided to register for this figure drawing marathon session in New Britain which goes from 9:30 to 8 p.m. on a Saturday.  I have never done figure drawing, never gone to a workshop, never spent 11 hours drawing, and haven't taken anything simulating an art class since freshman year of high school.  So we're looking at over 11 years since I had any instruction, and I don't even know if they're going to have instructors providing feedback.  I don't think I'm ready to use the pastel pencils for something like that because I don't know how long the models will pose for and am more comfortable using my Nupastels or chalk pastels.  But it should be exciting! :)

One of my coworkers gave me an entry form for a local exhibition geared toward emerging artists.  I've never tried to enter any contests or anything before so this will be interesting.  I think the hardest part of it is that they're asking for a resume and I don't have anything to write on a resume that has to do with art.  All I have is a commission piece I did in January, a drawing class I took as an elective my freshman year in high school, and most of my art in my middle school art classes was picked for display... the end.  What a sad resume!  But like I told my coworker, worst case scenario, they say "we don't want you, you suck!"  What's the harm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...